Monday, March 17, 2008

The day I've been dreading...

Okay, so I knew this would happen some day, and I'm just glad it happened when I was at home and not out running an errand. Last Thursday I was at home getting the house ready and dinner preparations done because I was going to teach my last class at that hospital Thurs night. I'd finally told my boss that I just needed to be done working for good, so this was my last time working and I was trying hard not to feel sentimental about it. The kids were at school and Talia was at the neighbor's playing with her new BFF Addie. And then I get THE CALL from my neighbor--Talia is coughing nonstop, and then my neighbor's voice becomes slightly panicky as she says, "And I can hear her starting to wheeze". Well, at that moment I know what's happened--peanuts! I rush down to my neighbor's, and sure enough, she's having a full-blown reaction to peanuts. It turns out that her and her friend snuck some chocolates when my neighbor wasn't watching, and they had peanut butter in them. Anyway, I give her an epinephrine injection, and she proceeds to throw up all over me and my neighbor's kitchen. Then it was a mad dash to the Dr's office to get there in 20 min before the shot wore off. Once we were at the Dr's office, it's a steroid injection, 2 breathing treatments, and a mega dose of Benadryl before she's stable and we can go home. Can I just say that this allergy sucks big time! I knew that one day she would get into something she wasn't supposed to while away from home, and I'm just really glad that it happened when I was four doors down (my neighbor is very glad too!). Anyway, it has renewed my vigilance for checking all labels and being extra careful--not an easy thing to do with Easter coming up! Well, I did end up going to work to teach that class Thurs night, and I told the nurse I work with about it and then said, "And this is one of the reasons I'm not working anymore! Stuff like this always happens on nights I'm supposed to work!" Well, I'm just glad Talia's okay--if you ask her now, she'll tell you that peanut butter makes her sick and she doesn't want it. Poor thing!

1 comment:

Erika Quaife said...

That is really scary! I am glad she is okay! Congrats on the new little one coming!!!